842 Route 25A, Northport, NY 11768

405 RXR Plaza, Uniondale, NY 11556


Divorce And Start Of School Year

Perhaps you just got divorced, or you have been divorced for a few years, but, your children are about to start school for the first time or enter a new school for the first time. Here are some tips to help you and your children with the transition.

  • Contact the School and the Principal: Before the school year starts, it is a good idea to contact the principal and tell them that your child will be new to the school. You should also make it clear that the child has two parents, but, that you are divorced.
  • Take a Tour of the School. Almost every school will allow you and your child to take a tour of the school. This will help your child get to know the school.
  • Ask if there are any other new students. Ask the school if there are any other new students to the school. Perhaps you can start a new support group of new students and new parents.
  • Look at the school’s website. Every school district and school should have a website. It is a good idea to look at the website and get familiar with what the school has posted.
  • Put everything in writing. You or your attorney should write to the principal and the Superintendent of the School to inform them of your rights and what you expect.

In your divorce, it is very important to make sure that your child’s school knows your situation. It is also important that you help your child with the transition to his/her new school.

Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.


Highly Successful, Highly Rated Divorce Attorney Serving Long Island

Fill Out This Form To Schedule Your Free Consultation Today

David Badanes